Winter Weather Guidelines
When winter weather occurs, the safety and well-being of our students is always a top priority. District 209 follows a plan whenever there is consideration of a school closing due to weather conditions.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISION?
When weather conditions are challenging, we make the decision to open or close schools based on a careful consideration of all relevant factors, such as:
- Data from the National Weather Service with updates regarding temperature, wind chill, and snow/ice accumulation.
- Information from the company that provides student transportation about any issues that might occur with buses.
- Changes to the weather forecast during the course of the school day that indicate if conditions will improve or worsen.
- Mechanical systems in schools are checked to make sure electricity and heat are working properly.
- District administrators talk with maintenance and custodial staff to check conditions of parking lots and sidewalks.
- Discussions with city officials about snow removal status and road conditions for neighborhoods and streets that are more challenging during times of inclement weather.
- Discussions with other school districts.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
The superintendent makes the final decision to keep schools open or to close school during inclement weather. The decision is made based on the factors mentioned above.
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
The decision is made by 6 a.m.
If schools are not closed, it is ultimately the responsibility of parents and guardians to decide if conditions safely allow for their children to attend school. If school is in session and you decide to keep your child home due to weather conditions, it will count as an excused absence. In this case, you must contact the school to let them know your child will not be in attendance.
If your phone number or email address has changed, please contact your child’s school so that we have the most up-to-date contact information.
SCHOOL CLOSING INFORMATION
HOW DO WE CONTACT PARENTS?
Information is posted first in the following locations:
District Website www.pths209.org
District Twitter account @PTHSD209
District Facebook account @PTHSD209
IntouchK12 phone call to parents/guardians
Emergency Closing Center's website www.emergencyclosingcenter.com
We will only make an announcement if schools will be closed or opening delayed. Announcements are not made that schools will be open.
If school is not in session, all athletic and extra-curricular activities, including practices, may be cancelled. Schools will communicate directly with parents to notify them of cancellations.