Coronavirus Update 3.6.2020
Dear PTHS D209:
This is a follow-up to last week’s communication regarding the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). We would like to update you on the evolving health issue and the district’s efforts to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “the potential public health threat posed by COVID-19 is very high to U.S. and globally. At this time, however most people in the U.S. will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus.” (CDC.GOV, March 3, 2020). However, please note that, as we do in all health-related cases, we will remain alert on this issue while continuing to follow proper health and safety precautions from the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and the CDC.
According to the IDPH, people who get sick with COVID-19 develop mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms that include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Illness can begin 2 to 14 days after exposure. The virus appears to be transmitted through person-to-person contact. Health authorities expect that more cases may occur in Illinois and the United States, therefore, we encourage you to follow the CDC’s recommendations to prevent the transmission of the virus which include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick and stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
Note: The Illinois Department of Public Health does not recommend:
- The use of masks or gloves
- Cancelling mass gatherings
- Cancelling classes
D209 has taken the following steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 which include but are not limited to:
- Enhance routine school cleaning with extra attention to frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, and countertops
- Provide disposable wipes to ensure that commonly used surfaces are wiped down
- Communicate preventive measures to stay healthy
D209 students and staff who experience symptoms, such as a fever, cough, and difficulty breathing should stay home from school or work and contact their health care provider immediately.
For more information, visit the following resources:
IDPH Coronavirus Disease FAQ: http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/diseases-a-z-list/coronavirus/faq.
PTHS D209 will continue to keep our families and staff informed with any developments that may arise.
Thank you for working with us to keep our school community healthy and safe.