Proviso Township High Schools District 209 wishes to reassure parents, students, and community members that the safety and welfare of students is a top priority in our schools.
There is no additional information to report about the precautionary lockdowns that took place at Proviso West High School on September 24 and at Proviso East High School on September 25. In response to those incidents, the District reviewed the security measures currently in place, including:
- Walkthrough metal detectors
- Visual check of bags
- Full-time police resource officers
- Security staff
- External door lockdown systems at all schools
- Camera systems
- Background check system for visitors
- Anonymous tip lines
- Drills for lockdown, fire, and severe weather
- An effective school/police partnership
These measures have greatly supported the District’s efforts to keep a safe school environment at Proviso East High School, Proviso West High School, and Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy. However, it is understood that no security system is perfect, and there is always room for improvement given the ever changing needs of our society. Here are some of the new or revised measures being taken to further extend security at all three schools:
- Random searches: A bus or classroom will be periodically randomly selected for a full search of book bags and purses. Students will be individually scanned with a hand held metal detector.
- Strict enforcement of uniform dress policy: In addition to wearing the appropriate school uniform, students may not wear hoodies and pants may not sag.
- IDs: Students must wear their ID on a lanyard during the school day. Visitors will not be allowed on to school property without proper photo identification.
- An analysis of the current walkthrough metal detector systems will be undertaken to determine the feasibility of a new system or upgrade.
"Our schools are and will remain very safe," said Dr. Nettie Collins-Hart, superintendent of District 209. "The safety of our students, faculty, and staff is a top priority for all of us. We will exercise zero tolerance for anything that even appears to threaten the safety of our students, faculty, and staff."
Proviso East High School, Proviso West High School, and Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy are safe schools. To maintain the right balance of a secure, but welcoming environment at all three schools, we need the support of students, faculty, staff, parents, and the community. One way that everyone can help is to call tips on incidents such as a planned fight or other safety issues on which they have information. Information can be given anonymously by calling one of the following tips lines:
- Proviso East: 708-202-1731
- Proviso West: 708-202-6351
- PMSA: 708-338-4188
The hotline is checked at least three times a day, in the morning, afternoon, and at the end of the day.
Thank you for your support in keeping our schools safe for all!