District 209 to Provide High School Placement Exams for Eighth-Graders
October 30, 2015 01:35 AM
Local feeder schools within Proviso Township High Schools District 209 are beginning the process of preparing eighth-grade students for high school entry by administering the EXPLORE exam from October 26 to November 6, 2015.
EXPLORE is a high school intake measure that gives high school counselors information about the student’s academic achievement to structure class schedules, make appropriate course placement decisions in English and mathematics, and create a pathway for college and career exploration. EXPLORE serves as a baseline for monitoring academic progress and is considered one of the most crucial steps in determining a student’s readiness for high school.
"The EXPLORE exam is an important tool to help us understand the skill levels of next year’s freshman class and how we can be ready to meet their academic needs," said Dr. Nettie Collins-Hart, superintendent of District 209. "With the data and information from these exams, we can be better prepared to put our incoming students on the right path to academic achievement and high school success."
All 8th grade students in the feeder schools for District 209 are asked to take the EXPLORE exam. This includes students who are planning to apply to the Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy. The testing window is open from October 26 to November 6, 2015. Counselors from each feeder school as well as those from Proviso East High School or Proviso West High School will administer this test during the school day. The tests will be given on the following dates at these schools:
- October 26-27 at Northlake Middle School (District 87)
- October 28 at Stevenson Middle School (District 89)
- October 29 at Forest Park Middle School (District 91)
- October 30 at Roosevelt Middle School (District 88)
- November 2 at Lindop School (District 92)
- November 2 at Komarek School (District 94)
- November 3 at MacArthur Middle School (District 87)
- November 4 at Stevenson Middle School (District 89)
- November 5 at Hillside School (District 93)
- November 5-6 at Irving Middle School (District 89)
- November 6 at Westchester Middle School (District 92.5)
For students who miss the test given in their schools or those who attend a private school, testing sessions will be held at Proviso West High School from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, November 14 and from 8 a.m. to noon at Proviso East High School on Saturday, December 5. Students should take the test at the school that would be their high school. For specific questions about how District 209 uses the results and information on registering for the make-up exam, please contact either Proviso East High School (708-202-1613) or Proviso West High School (708-202-6313).