Top Students Inducted Into District 209 Academic Hall of Fame
May 19, 2016 03:07 PM
Proviso Township High Schools District 209 honors academic excellence.
With that goal in mind, the top six students of the Class of 2016 at Proviso East High School, Proviso West High School, and Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy were honored recently by being named to the District 209 Academic Hall of Fame.
On May 19, the scholars were taken by limousine to lunch at the Signature Room at the 95th, located on top of the John Hancock Center in Chicago. They also were presented gifts, and notified that they would be placed in the Academic Hall of Fame for District 209. They also are to be recognized by the Board of Education and given plaques and certificates recognizing their achievements at the Board’s next regular meeting on June 14 at PMSA.
Their pictures will eventually be displayed in the District 209 Academic Hall of Fame at the district’s administrative offices at PMSA.
The following students are to be inducted into the District 209 Academic Hall of Fame:
- Dalal El Barbarawi, who was named the valedictorian at Proviso East. She will study chemistry at Roosevelt University in Chicago or at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, in the fall.
- Cinia McCray, who was named the salutatorian at Proviso East. She will study biology and play basketball at North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro, North Carolina, in the fall.
- Syeda Ali, who was named the valedictorian at Proviso West. She will study engineering at the University of Illinois at Chicago in the fall.
- Verenice Payan, who was named the salutatorian at Proviso West. She will study biology at the University of Illinois at Chicago in the fall.
- Sol Beltran, who was named the research scholar of distinction at PMSA. She will study biology at Dominican University in the fall.
- Lizbeth Garcia, who was named the research scholar of distinction at PMSA. She will study a to-be-determined science field at Northwestern University.
"These students have achieved academic excellence and they have risen to the top of their class," said Dr. Nettie Collins-Hart, superintendent of District 209. "They deserve to be congratulated and recognized for their achievements."
Congratulations to our top scholars and good luck to them in their future endeavors!
For photos of the scholars, please click here!